BitX is now Luno
We founded BitX in early 2013 to bring the power of digital currency to the world. We believe that decentralised digital currencies like Bitcoin will fundamentally change how the world views and uses money: cheaper, faster and safer transactions; more privacy and financial freedom; a significantly better user experience; and ultimately, more equality by giving everyone in the world access to the same financial system.
We changed our name to Luno to better reflect who we are and where we’re heading. Luno means ‘moon’ and represents the shared sense of excitement we and our customers have about this new industry. At the same time, it also reflects our responsibility in helping people safely escape the gravity of the existing financial system. Finally, the moon also emphasises Bitcoin’s greater potential of open and equal financial access: no matter who you are or where you’re from, every night we all still see the same moon. It is one of the world’s only constants, and in many ways it is the world’s one true leveller.
You can read more about where our new name comes from and what it means here.
We’re still the same company and team, we have the same much-loved products and services (with a few exciting new additions!) and as always, we’re keeping your Bitcoin safe and sound.
It’s now just being done with a brand that better reflects our identity and aspirations, and that will ultimately allow us to build better products and services for you.
To that end, we’re also excited to announce:
- New desktop and mobile apps for Android and iOS (go update them right now)
- The ability to buy Bitcoin from almost anywhere in the world via credit card
- Our Enterprise B2B platform is now live, and being tested with regulators in the UK
- A new learning portal to help people learn about Bitcoin
- We’ve opened offices in London and will be building a larger presence in Europe
- We’re hiring! See our current career opportunities here
We look forward to continuing this exciting journey with all of you.
To the moon!
Marcus, Timothy, Pieter and Carel