We founded BitX in early 2013 to bring the power of cryptocurrency to the world.
We believe decentralised cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin will fundamentally change how the world views and uses money: cheaper, faster and safer transactions; more privacy and freedom; a significantly better user experience; and ultimately, more equality by giving everyone access to the same financial system.
We changed our name to Luno to better reflect who we are and where we’re heading.
Luno means ‘moon’ in Esperanto. It represents the sense of excitement for the future of this industry we share with our customers.
At the same time, it also reflects our responsibility in helping people escape the gravity of the existing financial system.
Finally, the moon also emphasises Bitcoin’s greater potential of open and equal financial access.
No matter who you are or where you’re from, every night we all still see the same moon. It is one of the world’s only constants, and in many ways, it is the one true leveller.
You can read more about where our new name comes from and what it means in our brand story.
We’re still the same company and team, we have the same much-loved products and services (with a few exciting new additions!) and as always, we’re keeping your Bitcoin safe and sound.
It’s now just being done with a brand that better reflects our identity and aspirations, and that will ultimately allow us to build better products and services for you.
We’re also excited to announce:
- New desktop and mobile apps for Android and iOS (go update them right now)
- The ability to buy Bitcoin from almost anywhere in the world via credit card
- Our Enterprise B2B platform is now live, and being tested with regulators in the UK
- A new learning portal to help people learn about Bitcoin
- We’ve opened offices in London and will be building a larger presence in Europe
- We’re hiring! See our current career opportunities.
We look forward to continuing this exciting journey with all of you.
If you're reading this after 2016, we're still working hard to upgrade the world's financial system. We've achieved a lot and grown a lot since then:
- We won the Tech5 award for the Fastest Growing Tech Startup of 2018, joining the ranks of previous winners such as Deliveroo, Transferwise, and Lyst.
- We integrated with SegWit to hugely reduce fees and speed up transactions.
- We launched Ethereum on Luno! You can now buy, sell, store and send the second most popular crpytocurrency.
- We expanded into 35 new countries, with support from series B investors Balderton Capital, Alpha Code and Digital Currency Group.
To the moon!
Marcus, Timothy, Pieter and Carel