Last updated: 17 October 2019
Cryptocurrencies are new technologies that often work differently to your prior experience. They entail various risks that you should understand. Before using Luno, we encourage you to educate yourself about the risks associated with cryptocurrencies and not to invest money that you cannot afford to lose. We have highlighted some of the key risks below:
- Cryptocurrency transactions are generally irreversible. This means that you may not be able to recover the cryptocurrency where: (i) you send cryptocurrency to an incorrect address, (ii) you send the incorrect amount of cryptocurrency, or (iii) cryptocurrency transactions are made fraudulently from your account. Luno will not be liable to you for any losses resulting from these kinds of accidental or fraudulent transactions.
- The volatility and unpredictability of the price of cryptocurrency relative to local currency may result in significant loss over a short period of time. Buying and selling cryptocurrency could result in a complete loss of your funds.
- Luno’s Supported Cryptocurrencies are not backed by any entity. This means that you have no right of recourse against an issuing entity. It also means that neither Luno nor anyone else has an obligation to buy back your cryptocurrency in the future.
- With certain country exceptions, Luno’s Supported Cryptocurrencies are not considered legal tender in all of the countries we operate in. Accounts and value balances are not subject to any government-backed deposit insurance or any other government protections.
- BTC ed ETH non hanno corso legale né sono sostenute da alcun governo. Conti e saldi di valore non sono soggetti ad alcuna assicurazione dei depositi sostenuta dal governo né ad altre tutele governative;
Nota per i clienti della Malesia:
Ogni perdita risultante dal vostro trading e/o investimenti in criptovalute, non sono coperte dal Capital Market Compensation Fund.
- Legislative and regulatory changes or actions at state or international level may affect the use, transfer, exchange, and value of cryptocurrency.
- Cryptocurrency transactions are deemed to be made when recorded on a “blockchain” ledger, which is not necessarily the date or time that you initiate the transaction.
- The value of each cryptocurrency is driven by the continued willingness of market participants to exchange that cryptocurrency for local currency. Should this demand disappear, it could result in permanent and total loss of the value of the cryptocurrency.
- There is no assurance that a person or business who currently accepts cryptocurrency as payment will continue to do so in the future.
- Buying and selling cryptocurrency may result in tax liability and you are solely responsible for complying with your tax obligations.
- The nature of cryptocurrency may lead to an increased risk of fraud or cyber attack. You are responsible for keeping your Luno account secure from these types of attacks.
- The nature of cryptocurrency means that any technological difficulties experienced by a service provider may prevent access to or use of your cryptocurrency.
Nota per i clienti della Malesia:
In aggiunta alle misure qui sopra, i fondi dei nostri clienti malesiani sono soggetti ai servizi forniti dalla società fiduciaria MTrustee Berhad.
In the unlikely event Luno is unable to carry out (or ceases) its operations in one or more of our locations, Luno has robust business continuity arrangements in place to ensure minimal impact on our customers. Having regard to the severity of the situation and the services which may be affected, the following measures may apply (where appropriate):
- Activation of a dedicated response plan;
- Notification to relevant regulatory authorities and compliance with any regulatory instructions issued; and
- Provision of regular updates to customers by way of a status page.
The preservation of customer funds will take utmost priority in the event that Luno becomes unable to carry out its operations or ceases business. The Luno bank account into which you make fiat deposits is used exclusively for the purpose of holding and processing customer funds. These bank accounts, and our cryptocurrency storage system, are subject to robust controls and regular reconciliations